I’ve been telling everyone that i’m working at home because it’s just too cold, and it is: the wind chill is below zero. I am taking their word for it. I didn’t leave the house yesterday and I won’t be leaving today.
Signs it is cold:
- The weather forecasters are telling us the temperatures at which antifreeze freezes.
- Schools and businesses are closing.
- Only one raccoon ventured out of his den last night.
- The U.S. Mail delivery has stopped in some parts of Missouri. They say Kansas City is still delivering, but I don’t know yet about Saint Louis. I’m fine if they skip it: I don’t want someone to die so I can get the direct-to-trash grocery circular.
- CNN says if I’m outside for five minutes I will get frostbite.
- I saw that there was a layer of ice on the inside of the window frame. I thought at first that perhaps a rubber window gasket had frozen and broken like an O-ring, but what’s actually happened is that the metal window frame is so cold that the interior side is ice cold as well, and the scant humidity in the house has collected into a block of ice in the interior.
What’s awful is that it is worse in Chicago and Minnesota. What’s worse is that some people think that ours is the only hemisphere on the globe and use this as a global ”waming” rebuttal.