Ten years at TeddyJ has earned me four weeks of vacation, starting in January. I didn't even wait a full month before I embarked on a two-week visit: one week on the Rock Boat and the next in New Orleans for the start of the Mardi Gras.
(Sorry to disappoint, but I didn't visit Antarctica, like Dave on a research ship and Big Dot on a luxury liner. I don't think I'll visit Antarctica until it becomes touristy, because I defiantly love tourist traps. I can see it now: I could get off the boat and there's a spot where I could feed the tame penguins, next to a Margaritaville if I need wifi and artificial light, and then I would hole up in a boutique rehabbed research station.)
We spent recklessly. We almost made it to the last day before we had an argument how to pack the objet d'art we got at Skull Paradise in the French Quarter. (Skull and anatomy posters for the medical bathroom - one in French). We also got this years New Orleans 2018 print from Mousie to go in our Mucha-themed bedroom.
This time we actually visited the Voodoo and pharmacy museums.
Surprisingly, we stayed healthy the whole time, despite these risks:
- It was freaking cold in New Orleans the night we sailed out on the Rock Boat ("The Big Freezy," quipped Tyler, the BNL drummer).
- Similarly, when we sailed back to New Orleans it was raining during the return BNL concert.
- This horse tried to bite Gary when he made kissy noises, as you do with a horse.
- I then made kissy noises and it tried to bite me as well.
- One woman on the flight home was so obviously sick the pilot came back and checked on her. Her fiancee lied and said she was fine.
- The weather, now that we are back, has been insultingly cold. I can think of no other term for it. I go outside and I grow indignant.
There are many more things to post, about the weather and the food and the little girls and the beads and the beer man. But right now I have a headache from working all day, which also makes me indignant. What is this world in which I work instead of idling about the southern shores?