We had planned to go to the BNL concert in Nashville at the end of this week.
However, Gary's aunt died and we're going to a funeral in Florida. It's sad, made sadder because Gary shows his sadness by yelling. He was roaring sad earlier today.
We didn't know when the formalities would be, but Gary likes to prepare for the Worst Case Scenario, in fact he loves to prepare for the Worst Case Scenario. It is tiresome, because I say you don't have a problem until you have a problem, but he says I have to deal with his imaginary problems as if they are real.
For example, on 6/31 he said, "It will cost seven thousand dollars to clean up from this tornado, we can't go to Quebec." It is nowhere near that amount, and even less today since the siding company is replacing our two bits of siding for free. (Amazing!TM)
See, it's never as bad as he thinks it'll be, but still he makes me jump. Today it turned in our favor when I looked into canceling the Hutton Hotel in Nashville and found that I had not made a typical pre-paid non-refundable reservation, but instead a normal reservation I had not paid for yet. So, that was easy to cancel.
I then sadly looked at the BNL/Ben Folds/Guster tickets I could not sell, or even give away, since they were will-call and whoever used them would need to pose as me and show my ID. I looked at the total and sighed for the $350 I would lose.
Then I looked at the next line. Another $14. Sigh. Fourteen dollars for ... event insurance?
I bought event insurance for this thing back in April? Hot damn. I am a genius.
After one abortive phone call with a non-native speaker who could not spell my name ("I as in India" is a dead giveaway, young sir), I called back and spoke a Stephanie, who got me all sorted out. Said I just needed the obit off the web site and I'd be reimbursed after I submitted a claim.
So! All monies recovered, bonus siding, and enough Frequent Flyer miles to get us to Florida. "Ha HAH," I thought, "How's this for your Worst Case Scenario, Mr. Gary? In your FACE."
Almost immediately Gary announced that the latest word was that the funeral would be delayed till Tuesday, anyway, so: stand down.
I must admit, had I operated like a normal person and waited for the problem to become a real problem, I would never have noticed my genius decision to buy event insurance. In fact, I suggested to Gary that we use the event insurance anyway, because that's a lot of travel, Nashville to Florida and back, and he was a little aghast that I even suggested that I make an insurance claim I didn't need to make. He even spoke to me gently and reprovingly. Aw.
So, because there's no longer a time conflict, and also because he shamed me over suggesting we not keep the promise to BNL to attend the concert, we're going to the concert, then flying to Florida, and staying at LaQuintas and the like. (Gary wanted to look at the $45 a night hotels, and after I read a few reviews about black mold and ants he let me swank it up to the Quality Inn.)
With the final actual information in hand, I could book the air travel and still have miles left over. As a last minute booking this would have been $1,800, and instead it's free. Those miles have piled up for years because I could never stand to use the same number of miles to buy a $120 flight to Chicago.
So, I am feeling quite the financial wizard tonight. Note to future self: always get the insurance and the extended / lifetime warranty, because one day it will all pay off. Then again, since today WAS the day it all paid off, does that mean we won't have another?