I am a cynic, a skeptic, a skepnic, if you will. All I can do is give you the facts.
1) 29 years ago a maternity ward nurse at church told us about a baby born that day at 13 pounds, too big for a bassinet. "I bet that's [my pregnant friend] Theresa," I thought. I hadn't spoken to Theresa in the past five months, since I didn't see her at school any more.
The next day my pregnant friend Teresa called me. "Guess what?" she asked.
"You had a baby yesterday, and it was 13 pounds, and there wasn't a bassinet big enough."
It got a good reaction, but really it was just a good guess.
2) 20 years ago I walked into my job at Eliott, stopped by the back receptionist's desk, and it occurred to me that Terry S____ was in the hospital having her baby right then.
"So! Terry's having her baby."
"Oh, no, Terry's not due for weeks."
"I must have heard someone talking about it just now. I'm sure she is."
"Nope. Besides, we're the only ones here."
"I am positive she's having her baby right now." I still held fast that I'd heard it. I was so sure.
And of course, later that day we found Terry was had her baby while I was having my conversation with the receptionist. That one wasn't a guess.
OR....WAS IT? (I argued with the woman. I was SURE. I've never met Terry's baby, by the way. I wasn't really close to her.)
3) Close friends have babies. I have no idea it's going on.
4) Five years ago Robert at work was antsy and didn't know why. "Your wife is having her baby right now, that's why," I insisted. As you know, Robert went home later that day when he got The Call from his wife. I might have been picking up on some father instinct Robert had. Just a guess? OR WAS IT?
5) So this time, when I heard the Happy Couple at work was nine months along, I decided to extend my psychic antenna and listen for any broadcasts.
Two days ago, they went in to be induced. I listened for a Celestial Birth Announcement, but there was none. I went in the next morning sure I had no psychic powers.
OR ... DO I?
Evidently the first inducing drug didn't work so she couldn't have the inducing second drug, so the baby is hanging in there. At 10:57 this morning I got a psychic heads-up that the baby had "moved." I was sure enough to write down the time. So, moving babies. Clearly my psychic ability is even more fine-tuned now.
OR IS IT?
I SWEAR to you I was checking in on the horse cam every five minutes earlier tonight, but nothing was going on. Gave up. A moment ago I thought, "I should check the horse cam," and SON OF A BITCH that foal was half out.
Then again, it was obvious this horse was going to pop. I hope ~~Silk got to see it. I don't think this was psychic, it was just a guess.
WAIT, WHAT? I'M CONFUSED. WHAT'S YOUR POINT?
I'm confused too. I know I don't believe in psychic abilities, but I also know that when I know, I know. This is the first time I've tried to test it.