I've seen this meme around and about at least three places. It's a year-end retrospective, and of all the years I'd like to put in retrospect it would be '08. To borrow Friend #3's phrase, 2008 sucked out loud.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Ooooo... that's a bad start. I can only think of one thing. Perhaps this isn't the year to do this meme.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Made no resolutions, will make no more for next year. I make daily resolutions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not a soul. Not even any of the 14 year old S______ relatives. That's a first.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not a soul - wait! I forgot! MOM DIED. Thanks for asking, Meme. You bastard.
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada ... West Indies ... the Greater Antilles
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
My balls. I'm looking to gain more self-confidence at the new job.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Fuck, you, meme, you know it's April 10. Don't ask "why." Don't be cute.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I did what Mom wanted. Oh! And I got to go all Spartacus on '08 and be in a clinical trial. (And since my leukocytes leapt up to 2,000 from 1,800 I get to stay in the trial too.)
9. What was your biggest failure?
I really could have done better at my new job. My focus just wasn't there.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Well, clearly I don't have enough leukocytes to sustain an exacerbation even if my white blood cells could cross my blood-brain barrier, so no. Of course, those cells were probably clogging up my crotch and giving me the varicose veins snaking through my thinning hairs. But nothing permanent.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Given that I just hung up the last of the frames, I'm still excited about the twenty-odd prints and frames at 90% off.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Ah, Gary. He truly is a man among men. He was by my side every minute he could be those awful two weeks while Mom died. He couldn't have been better.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Well, I must admit I'm a bit appalled that my nephew will be study Arabic for nine months in ... um ... Emen-Yay.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Slapping down the debt. Or else into the ether of the stock market.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I can't think of anything I got "really, really, really" excited about. I did get "really really" excited about our three vacations. (I call them vacations, but essentially we were going to BNL concerts.) And I got "really" excited the day we got the notice we paid off the house. I recall Gary dry-humped the counter.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Who By Fire
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Sadder! 8 pounds thinner! Richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Playing the guitar. I was surprised when I picked it up last night and I seem to have passed some strumming blocks I'd been having. Then I listened to Bel Air Rain and decided I will always and forever suck.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Sleeping. I swear, entire days evaporated. Granted, the weeks I didn't devote a day to sleep I crashed Wednesday night.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
...Or as we call it here Mid-Hanukkah. Playing Wii American Idol.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I fell more in love.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
The Election Show - shown on Countdown, Hardball, All of CNN. Really liked the finale, too.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
You betcha! I didn't even know about Sarah Palin last year.
24. What was the best book you read?
I think the only book I read was the Jewish Policeman's Union.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I know you won't think Vampire Weekend is a discovery, but truly Gary just randomly yanked it off the shelf at B&N. Oh, and I loved Boothby Graffoe from the cruise.
26. What did you want and get?
I got another visit to the Wild Animal Park. I think the is the first time I've returned to a place I had vacationed before.
27. What did you want and not get?
You know, I don't have a really great ensemble. If only that company that made that robe / kimono could punctuate.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I think Milk. Then again, I went in the company of lesbians and we ate sushi beforehand, so how could you not love it?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
The blog says I watched the Olympics, made a chopped salad and used the Wii Fit. I am 46. I am in my late 40s.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Oh! Thanks for bring that up again, Meme! Mom not dying would have been very satisfying.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Lots of Etsy necklaces and whatever fits over my boobs.
32. What kept you sane?
Celexa. 40 mg a day. Not to put too fine a point on it, but it's what always keeps me sane. Otherwise the Voice starts up again.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Okay, I know this is going to cause confusion over my sexuality, but Rachel Maddow should come to lunch with me and my friends. (Hey! She could be Friend #69. Someone needs to fill that position.)
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The prospect that anyone but G.W. Bush might be our president. Well, anyone but G.W or Sarah Palin.
35. Who did you miss?
Fuck you, meme. Just bite me.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I like almost everyone I work with at the new job. We shall see, though. They still have to pass the test of Tea 2009.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Take care of people you love, and make sure they know your wishes.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Easy to bitch, easy to whine, easy to moan, easy to cry."