Last fall, Mac and Doug were in the Living room admiring the new footstool.
Mac said, "I must say, I admire the Furless One's taste. That is a fine article of furniture."
"Mmmm," Doug said, "Real quality. You can tell it's built to last."
"What's it used for? Does it have a purpose?" Mac wondered aloud.
"I saw the large one put his feet on it," Doug said.
"Perhaps we could put our feet on it as well. Do you think they'd mind?" Mac inquired politely.
"They're in the other room. Don't bother them. I'm sure it would be fine," Doug answered confidently, "Here, I'll go first."
(Doug jumps on footstool.)
"Hmm," Doug said, "Interesting height. Not as high as the other seating areas they bought for us. I could walk right across to this table --- why, someone left an entire stick of butter here."
And with that Doug and the butter were gone. All we found 5 minutes later was Mac licking the butter wrapper that Doug discarded.
Then, 2 hours later, the butter hit Douglas hard and he began to vomit, so Mac got some of the butter then, shall we say. In fact, Doug was polite enough to vomit in the bedroom while we were in the living room, Mac found it, and decided to clean it up. Not only did he clean up the vomit, he licked the carpet clean, and then he ate the carpet down to the mat, it was soooo tasty.
Doug got sick enough that I called Animal Poison Control and they said that was a serious amount of sodium for a small dog and his kidneys might fail, so Gary had to stay up all night and watch the dogs.
Anyway, everyone is fine and we have a hole in the carpet. Also, the S_____s have been warned about the dangers of giving salted food to dogs. Gary anticipates his parents will stop salting their food entirely.
Actually, I'm concerned the vet will think I have Munchusen's Syndrome by Proxy and am inflicting illness in my dogs to gain sympathy.